- page 2
(many thanks to
Jim Walker FSA (Scot) for the following text)
During the alterations
to the church in 1931 the Duncan family presented the memorial stained
glass window by the Gordon M Webster. This is to the right hand side of
the pulpit as you look.
In 1955 the window on
the left hand side, by the same artist and dedicated to the memory of
the Rev. John and Mrs. Margaret Ogilvie, was installed.
The splendid communion table and chair were acquired as a result of a
generous, anonymous donation.
Also in the chancel
area are two baptismal fonts. The earlier font, dating from the 13th
century, was recovered in 1985 after a local man had noticed an
odd-shaped stone in the Glebe Wall. The later font was presented by the
children of the church in 1955 and is still in use today.
stool, known as a 'cutty stool', much used by the Kirk Session in
exercising discipline in days gone by, is still there - but,
thankfully, no longer in use!
The gallery facing the pulpit - known as the Laird's Loft - was
reserved for the Earl of Wigton and his family when they were in
residence at Cumbernauld. Originally the coat of arms of the Fleming
family was displayed on the centre panel of this gallery.
At the rear of this loft there was once a private room to which the
Fleming family could retire during lengthy services. For some years it
housed the church organ but has now been converted into a much-needed